All Because Two People Fell In Love
Est. July 30, 2010

Monday, September 17, 2012

Alexa's First Big Boo-Boo

     Harrison and I (sadly) feel like we have turned a new chapter in this life called "Parenthood".
     Last night (Sunday, Sept. 16, 2012) Alexa had her first visit to the Emergency Room.  We were at Harrison's family's house visiting and she was giving her cousin Mac loves.  While doing so she lost her balance and fell, hitting her head on the corner of the island.  We didn't know how serious it was until we saw the gash in her forehead directly above her right eye.  It is about 1 inch long and 1 cm deep.
     Sidenote: Why have I always heard that even if you are queasy around blood, you will be able to handle it well with your own kids because they are yours?... Because this was the exact opposite with me. As soon as I held her and saw how big the gash was, I started feeling sick and Harrison (thankfully he has a strong stomach) had to take over.
     We took her to the ER and, long story short, they sedated her and had to give her 6 stitches.  After about an hour, once the sedation lifted, we were able to take her home.  I felt so bad trying to wake her up to help the sedative lift when all she wanted to do was sleep (this was around 10:00 PM).  We told her, "I'm sorry sweetie, the Doctor said we had to stimulate you." ... Poor thing.
     On Monday, the 24th, we will be able to go in and get the stitches removed.  Until then, we have to clean the stitches, moisten it with neosporin, and bandage it 6-10 times/ day.  She hates this part.  I am slowly getting quicker at doing this.  Maybe by Monday Harrison and I will be pros. :) She is one tough little cookie!
     On a lighter note, Harrison was asked, by his boss, to participate in a leadership program.  He has accepted and will begin in October.  It is a year-long program and pretty demanding, but he is excited about it and will do a great job!  I am so proud of all his hard work!

PS- Since we felt like we should document this monumental part of her life, we took pictures.  They will be up shortly.

3 comments:

  1. So sad!! I hope she heals fast - wish there was something we could do to help. Let me know if you can think of anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know who I feel the worst for mom and dad or Alexa? It is horrible to see your children get hurt. If only we could do it for them. Hope all of you are doing better.
    Congratulations to Harrison. What a guy!
    Love you guys.
    Aunt Debbie

    ReplyDelete